[VOTE] Release HDT version 0.0.1.incubating (RC3)
Rahul Sharma
2014-04-18 14:48:41 UTC
Hi,

I would like to call for a vote for Apache Hadoop Development Tools
(incubating), version 0.0.1.incubating. The vote has happened of the dev
mailing list and the community has approved the forth release candidate(RC3)
for Apache Hadoop Development Tools (incubating), version
0.0.1.incubating.The release has Zookeper and HDFS features from the
*hadoop-eclipse-merge* codebase.The issues raised for previous release
candidates have been addressed in this release.

Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Hadoop Development Tools
0.0.1.incubating.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache HDT 0.0.1.incubating
[ ] 0 I don't feel strongly about it, but I'm okay with the release

PPMC Vote thread :
*http://apache.markmail.org/message/pm73p3xxcgt4zz6e
<http://apache.markmail.org/message/pm73p3xxcgt4zz6e>*

Vote Result :
http://apache.markmail.org/message/ykycte3demsxnzz7

Source and binary files:
http://people.apache.org/~rsharma/hdt-0.0.1.incubating-rc3/

The tag to be voted upon:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-hdt
.git;a=commit;h=3672346b937b9cec029ac3e362f276ea64f1af92

PGP keys used to sign the release:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/hdt/KEYS

Some guideline to verify release can be found at :
http://apache.markmail.org/message/qj3srhvozapbwmq6

regards,
Rahul
Chris Mattmann
2014-04-20 19:47:06 UTC
+1 from me:

bash-3.2$ for type in bin src; do /Users/mattmann/bin/stage_apache_rc hdt
0.0.1.incubating-${type}
http://people.apache.org/~rsharma/hdt-0.0.1.incubating-rc3/; done
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time
Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left
Speed
100 8823k 100 8823k 0 0 394k 0 0:00:22 0:00:22 --:--:--
233k
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time
Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left
Speed
100 836 100 836 0 0 4810 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--
9086
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time
Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left
Speed
100 66 100 66 0 0 389 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--
733
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time
Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left
Speed
100 74 100 74 0 0 450 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--
936
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time
Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left
Speed
100 300k 100 300k 0 0 170k 0 0:00:01 0:00:01 --:--:--
199k
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time
Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left
Speed
100 836 100 836 0 0 5260 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--
9609
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time
Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left
Speed
100 66 100 66 0 0 356 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--
785
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time
Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left
Speed
100 74 100 74 0 0 441 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--
725
bash-3.2$ $HOME/bin/verify_gpg_sigs
Verifying Signature for file hdt-0.0.1.incubating-bin.tar.gz.asc
gpg: Signature made Sun Mar 30 21:16:42 2014 PDT using RSA key ID 5808BCF5
gpg: Good signature from "Rahul Sharma <***@apache.org>"
gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
owner.
Primary key fingerprint: 06E1 DBAC 2181 995F C97A 2CFE 3915 5BFD 5808 BCF5
Verifying Signature for file hdt-0.0.1.incubating-src.tar.gz.asc
gpg: Signature made Sun Mar 30 21:16:42 2014 PDT using RSA key ID 5808BCF5
gpg: Good signature from "Rahul Sharma <***@apache.org>"
gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
owner.
Primary key fingerprint: 06E1 DBAC 2181 995F C97A 2CFE 3915 5BFD 5808 BCF5
bash-3.2$ $HOME/bin/verify_md5_checksums
md5sum: stat '*.bz2': No such file or directory
md5sum: stat '*.zip': No such file or directory
md5sum: stat '*.tgz': No such file or directory
hdt-0.0.1.incubating-bin.tar.gz: OK
hdt-0.0.1.incubating-src.tar.gz: OK
bash-3.2$

SIGS and CHECKSUM check out. Great work guys!

Cheers,
Chris

Rahul
Rahul Sharma

Rahul
Justin Mclean
2014-04-23 05:17:46 UTC
Hi,
Post by Rahul Sharma
The Vote is already 5 days old and we still require 2 more votes from the
IPMC.
I took a look but was unable to get the source package to compile on OSX probably an issue at my end or is it an unsupported platform?

Everything else (signatures, rat report, DISCLAIMER, LICENSE, NOTICE and no binaries except images) all checked out fine.

One very minor issue is that the NOTICE file has the wrong year in it (2013) but that can be fixed in the next release. Some (even minimal) instructions on how to compile if there are any prerequisites would be helpful in future releases.

Thanks,
Justin
Rahul Sharma
2014-04-23 09:49:14 UTC
HI Justin,

I think it is somewhat specific at your end. The source as such is not
platform dependent. I build it on my ubuntu and mac at it works fine. I
will try it once again. The plugin is built using maven-tycho plugin. Some
people have hit a similar issue[1][2]. But it does not look like you were
trying a concurrent build . Can you please try again after deleting your m2
at ~/.m2/repository/p2/osgi ?

We will take your feedback for NOTICE and README in our next release.

regards,
Rahul

[1] http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/tycho-user/msg05072.html
[2] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/jacoco/z9MJKfYWqwM
Post by Justin Mclean
Hi,
Justin Mclean
2014-04-23 23:12:01 UTC
Hi,

+1 (binding)

My issue seems to be out of memory/heap space related. Adding typical JAVA_OPT/MAVEN_OPTS settings to README in future releases could be helpful.

I also noticed a few warnings when building re runtime configuration. They can be fixed like so [1].

It may also be that the version number is missing from tycho-maven-plugin? [2].

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Reference_Card#Target_runtime_environment
2. http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Reference_Card#Enabling_tycho
Rahul Sharma

Rahul Sharma

Rahul Sharma
2014-04-28 14:46:33 UTC
Dear General,

The vote has already run for over 10 days but still we are still short by
1 IPMC vote. We have been able to gather only 2 votes till date. I have
already asked a couple of times before but it did not work out. Now I am
not sure how to proceed further. Can some one please help us out ?

regards
Rahul

Suresh Marru

John D. Ament
2014-05-01 11:32:14 UTC
Hi all,

Just wondering if any other IPMCs have had a chance to look at this vote.
I know that they'd love to be able to show the release on their report
this quarter.

For what it's worth, here's my non binding +1.

John
Post by Rahul Sharma
Post by Rahul Sharma
We are still looking out for 1 more vote from IPMC.
thanks
Rahul
Post by Rahul Sharma
Suresh Marru
2014-05-01 12:48:50 UTC
Hi Rahul,

+ 1 for the release.

I found few non-blocking improvements you want to make for next release. I debated if they need to be fixed now, but creating JIRA’s and assuring to be fixed for next release should do.

* The NOTICE file has Eclipse icon and SLF4J license url’s, both of them are not needed. Please see [1] - “It is strongly recommended that the NOTICE contains only these legally important contents.”

* The src bundled the site, all .settings, .classpath, .project files. All these should be removed. Its not advised to use a eclipse checkout to bundle the source.

* I do not see any maven artifacts being published, is this intentional? You can refer to [2] if this needs to be done.

Suresh
[1] - http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-notice
[2] - http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html#dev-env
Rahul
Rahul Sharma
2014-05-02 03:53:39 UTC
HI Suresh,

Thanks for the vote, I think we can make a few JIRAs and then target them
in the next release.

For now, I am not sure of removing the .settings, .classpath, .project. We
have kept this configuration in our repo. FWIW, this is an eclipse plugin
and a few configurations have been packed in .classpath so that it works
fine when someone imports it in eclipse. We have a JIRA against it [1], so
maybe ponder again on the same.

regards
Rahul

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDT-19
Rahul Sharma
2014-05-02 04:05:24 UTC
Hi,

The vote passes with 7 +1 votes (including 3 IPMC votes) and no -1's.

Binding Votes:
Chris Mattmann
Justin Mclean
Suresh Maru

Non-Binding Votes:
Mirko Kaempf
Evert Lammerts
John D. Ament
Rahul Sharma

Thanks everyone for voting and for pointing out issues with our RC's. I'll
push the release out.

Thanks
Rahul